Saturday, August 31, 2013

Inktastic: Pelikan Edelstein Amber (ink of the year)


I've been searching for this ink for such a long time, you couldn't imagine how hard it is to find the Edelstein inks in Belgium! But  I was lucky enough to finally find a shop in Amsterdam that sells these inks! They had every colour in stock, so I obviously went for the limited edition: Amber, Ink of the year!

Pelikan did a great job on the design of the bottle and the cardboard box it comes in. The cardboard box has a very cool design, it's kind of hard to explain, but one corner is flat and has the same colour as the ink inside. And the bottle is actually even prettier! It's a heavy, bulky rectangular, glass bottle, the corners are rounded off, and the ink almost appears to float in the middle!

The right-hand corner of the box is flat, that's the best way I can describe the design, but you can see what I mean!
But of course I didn't buy it only because of the bottle, it's all about the ink inside! According to Pelikan, their Edelstein inks are much more lubricated than the original pelikan inks. And since I have always been a fan of the 4001 Royal blue ink from Pelikan, I was curious to see if the Edelstein inks actually do perform better!

Well, the answer is yes! The Edelstein ink writes incredibly smooth. It has a decent flow, not very wet, but not dry either, so don't be affraid that it might skip! It doesn't feather at all. Not even when writing with wet calligraphy nibs on cheaper paper (like I did in the writing test below the written review!)! And yes, it is a very smooth ink, it does indeed feel more lubricated than other inks, it's really a joy to write with!

As far as I know, it is also rather easy to clean this ink out of your pen, it took me only three minutes to clean out my Pilot capless and fill it with other ink, so that's very fast!


But what I like most about this ink, is the colour, it really is exactly like an Amber gemstone! It shades incredibly well, better than any other ink I currently own (yes, even better than Lie de Thé!) The colour varies from light amber/gold to a very dark orangy brown.

It's a great ink, just as I expected. But it is a bit more expensive than the rest, at about 13 Euros/ 17 USDollars for a bottle of 50ml (1.7 oz) It's really worth that price though, the ink is great and it is presented in a beautiful bottle!

A writing sample with a copperplate Calligraphy pen.


No comments:

Post a Comment